Anxiety is a natural human feature of behavior and is an inherent part of our species. The word “anxiety” is derived from the word “anxious”, which came from a meaning of being tormented. Anxiety in itself is then known to be a type of self-torment which is brought up as a defensive response to a given situation.
Anxiety is so common that almost everyone experiences it in some form every single day. This anxiety is not a problem, it is only when anxiety begins to creep into places where it actually has no real justification that it becomes a problem and is termed to be a ‘disorder’.
There are a range of different types of anxiety disorders which may be treated differently. The most common anxiety disorders include:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Social Phobia
- Panic Attacks
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder(PTSD)
- Specific Phobias
Common Anxiety Causes
Causes of anxiety disorders are rarely ever set in stone and can be due to a range of different things such as:
- Genetic Predisposition – Some types of anxiety disorders such as Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) have been found to run in families and are thought to perhaps be inherited through a gene which makes people more prone to become anxious.
- Stress – High levels of stress or seemingly endless stressful situations have been proven as a cause of anxiety disorders. Disorders such as Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) are specifically found to have been caused by stressful and traumatizing events.
- Sudden life changes – Death of loved ones and other sudden, shocking changes in everyday life can play a large role in the development of an anxiety disorder.
There may also be a range of internal and external factors which are involved in the development of each specific case of anxiety disorders. It is important to talk about the things you think might be causing your anxiety problems with someone who will listen and understand where you are coming from. This can help you to resolve your own feelings and to better understand why you are going through a tough time.
Common Symptoms of Anxiety
Symptoms of anxiety disorders may range vastly depending on the type of anxiety. Some very common anxiety symptoms include:
- Worry & fear
- Anxiety feelings when riding or driving in a car
- Pain or tightness in the chest
- Difficulty sleeping
- Strange muscle aches and pains
- Difficulty breathing
- Frequent yawning
- Difficulty concentrating or mind going blank
- Being easily fatigued
- Feeling on edge
Natural Anxiety Treatments
Learning how to relax your body and release pent up tension which contributes to anxiety can be incredibly helpful in treating the root cause of anxiety disorders. Some good relaxation techniques for anxiety include:
* Progressive muscle relaxation
* Relaxing music
* Abdominal breathing
* Relaxation exercises
The use of cognitive therapy…